30 August, 2006

What the world needs now is yet another blog

It dawned on me the other day that I get most of my information these days from blogs. Most of these are related to my professional life - I'm a user interface design consultant - but it's starting to spill over into the wider world of other interests and opinion. In the past few years I have almost stopped going to conferences, I've drastically cut down on my professional memberships and journals, and yet I'm better-informed than I ever have been before.

It also dawned on me that there is a global conversation going on out there, not just in professional areas but in all areas of life and that not having a blog is like not having a voice. Frankly, I don't want to be a lurker in the Newsgroup of Life, so here I am.

Of course, no-one will read this post. No-one knows I'm here, standing on the outer fringes of the blogsphere, coughing politely. They say it takes a couple of years for any blog to get a decent readership and I suppose that means in the first few months I'll be talking to myself. But I look forward to the day when there are enough eyeballs here that my voice can be heard (who invents these metaphors?) and I get the chance to participate fully in this global chatroom.

The sea of voices I'm entering is deep - and getting deeper all the time. The Web equivalent of global warming is going on and people like me are trickling off the glaciers into the ocean by the thousand. Let's hope that, now I'm in these deep waters, I'll be waving, not drowning.

No comments:

The Gray Wave Jukebox


Powered by iSOUND.COM